The archdiocese will pay a total of $4.7 million to 18 claimants whosuffered abuse at the hands of archdiocesan priests in incidents thatspanned five decades. The settlement was announced Thursday inWaterloo, Iowa, by attorneys for the victims and by the archdiocese.
Thissettlement reportedly is the second- largest paid to clergy-abusevictims by the archdiocese. In 2006, 20 victims were paid $5 millionand, last year, nine victims received $2.6 million.
Waterlooattorneys Chad Swanson and Thomas Staack claim that the 47 people whowere part of the three settlements are just the tip of the iceberg.Many abuse victims either haven't come forward yet with abuse claims orhaven't joined in a settlement, although some of them have testified onbehalf of other victims, Staack said.
Dubuque Archbishop JeromeHanus said the payments will come from two sources: From outsideinsurance and from self-insurance. The archdiocese's finance councilapproved borrowing from other archdiocesan funds to supplement theself-insurance plan, he said.
Nine priests were named as abusers by the 18 victims. Six of the priests have been namedin previous settlements: The Revs. Albert Carman, William Goltz, RobertReiss and Robert Swift, all of whom have died, and Tim DeVenney andAllen Schmitt, who are alive but have been removed from the ministry.
This settlement includes three new priests: The Revs. Robert Saunders, John Reed and Louis Wendling.
Besidesthe monetary payments, the settlement requires the archdiocese toremove images of the accused priests from churches, schools and otherfacilities, to allow victims to speak about their abuse at a SundayMass, and to pay for 12 counseling sessions. In addition, Hanus agreedto issue a public apology to all victims of archdiocesan clergy abuse.